R&D PROJECTS SUPPORTED BY CEC& OTHER INTERNATIONAL BODIES
- BRITE I Program, “Development of Continuous Carbon Fibre Reinforced
Thermoplastics and their Processing for the Manufacture of Composite
- EURAM, “Reaction Injection Moulding and Energy Conservation in Processing of
Thermoplastic Matrix Composites”, 1987-1990.
- SCIENCE PRGRAM, “Problems with applications on artificial Intelligence
(robot vision) and the study of Composite Materials”.
- BRITE II Program, “Lightweight Reflectors Made of Carbon Fibre Reinforced
Plastic Materials”, 1988-1992.
- BRITE/EURAM Program, “Development and Characterisation of Ceramic Matrix and
Carbon/Carbon Composites”, 1990-1994.
- EPET Program, “Infrastructure installation for a local development,
installation and maintenance of wind energy production system in combination
with sea water desalination system (WinD)”. 1992-1995.
- BRITE/EURAM Program, “Development of Improved Damage Tolerant Carbon
Fibre-Organic Matrix Composites”, 1990-1994.
- BRITE/EURAM Program, “Processing Strategy for Filament Winding of Thermoset
Components Based on a Mathematical Process Description”, 1992-1995.
- BRITE/EURAM Program, “Design, Modelling and Control of a New Process for
Glassfibre Preform Manufacture with Minimisation of Scraps, Improvement of
Working Conditions and without Environmental Impact”, 1992-1996.
- EPET II Program, “Early Diagnosis: New Diagnostic Equipment for biomedical
- BRITE/EURAM Program, “Continuous Atmospheric In-Line Aerosol CVD at Low
- BRITE/EURAM Program, “Ceramic Components for Industrial Gas Turbines”
- EPET II Program, “Design, Optimisation, Manufacturing and Installation of a
full Composite Bridge”, 1998-2000.
- NSF Research Program, “Probabilistic Life Prediction for Composite Laminates
Subjected to Fatigue Loading”, 2001-2002.
- BRITE/EURAM Program, Adaptation of existing wind turbines for operation on
high wind speed complex terrain sites; kWh cost reduction (ADAPTURB), 1999-2002.
- BRITE/EURAM Program, Acoustic Emission Proof Testing and Damage Assessment
of Wind Turbine Blades (AEGIS), 1999-2002.
- GROWTH Program: Development of a MW scale wind turbine for high wind complex
terrain sites (MEGAWIND) 2001-2004.
- GROWTH Program: “Ceramic and Carbon Fibres: Validation of Test Methods”,
- GROWTH Program: Wind Turbine rotor blades for enhanced aeroelastic stability
and fatigue life using passively damped composites (DAMPBLADE), 2001-2004.
- GROWTH Program: Reliable Optimal Use of Materials for Wind Turbine Rotor
Blades (OPTIMAT BLADES), 2002-2006.
- EKVAV: “Seismic Assessment and Rehabilitation of Concrete Structures”,
- FP 6, EU-IP: “Advanced Sensor Development For Attention, Stress, Vigilance
& Sleep/Wakefulness Monitoring”, SENSATION, 2003-2007.
- FP 6, EU-STREP: “Aerospace Nanotube Hybrid Composite Structures with Sensing
and Actuating Capabilities”, NOESIS, 2004-2008.
- FP 6, EU-STREP: “Cost Effective and Environmentally Sound Dismantling of
Obsolete Vessels”, ShipDismantl, 2004-2008.
UP/AML has in its permanent staff 5 university professors and 3 PhD holders
(working in the field of Composite Material, Structural Dynamics,
Non-Destructive Testing and Numerical Methods) and 4 technicians and support
staff. Currently, 20 Engineers and PhD student are working in the Lab. in
various R&D projects. As part of its continued growth, UP/AML is continually
looking for exceptional people to join its staff. Vacancies may exist to
support; new projects, increased requirements in a core competency area or to
increase our core competency.